Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Versailles worth a day off Paris stay?

I will be going on a fast paced Europe tour with school in June and have an optional Versailles half day out of my 3 day Paris stay. Is it worth missing Paris and if so what should I see?




|||



I think a visit to Versailles should not be missed. If for no reason other than to acquire a sense of the opulence of the few in a bygone age when poverty was the norm. I feel you would find it hightly educational. Do not miss a detailed tour of the Chateau de Versailles and the Hall of Mirrors is spectacular. Three days is a very short time to take in the essence of Paris but it has a superb Metro system which enables one to travel to many sights (and sites!) in short order. Whether you go to Versailles or not you will be truly impressed by Paris and its environs.




|||



I%26#39;ll give you the opposing view. If you only have 3 days in Paris, I do NOT think you should take a half-day tour of Versailles. There is far too much to see in Paris for you to be able to do anything more than scratch the surface in 3 days. And Versailles really deserves a whole day to itself.



To get an idea of the opulence of the French royal court, you only have to look at the Louvre, which was the royal palace before Louis XIV decided to move the court to Versailles.




|||



I%26#39;m just back from Paris a few days ago and I agree a half day would not be enough time for Versailles. We had to queue for at least an hour to get through the ONE security scanner they had set up. Then we bought tickets. The palace is undergoing some refurbishment at the moment too so only half the Hall of Mirrors is open. Even with all that we were still there for at least 6 hours as there all the grounds and Grand Trianon, Grand Canel etc to see too. Enjoy Paris - I loved it its a very walkable city.




|||



Thanks for all the help. I think I%26#39;ll just stick with Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment