Saturday, April 21, 2012

cheese fondue

Does anyone know where to find the best/nicest restaurante in Paris where you can eat my favorite food, fondue de fromage/cheese fondue?




|||



isn%26#39;t fondue a Swiss dish? and typically served in cold weather..?




|||



Its a Mountain dish but apparently quite popular in France as well.





While I can%26#39;t vouch for it being the nicest / best I did have a very nice cheese fondue in Paris this March.





Sorry about the vague details but if you walk along the street with the Sorbonne uni on your left hand side you get to a large main road. Turn right onto this main road and then there is a right turn back on yourself off this road, there is a smaller street which is absolutely full of restaurants. There was one on there which is very woody and easy to spot from out front. I had great fondue there.





Hope you find one, I%26#39;ll let you know if I have an epiphany and suddenyl remember its name !




|||



Oh you%26#39;re talking about one of the fondue restauants in St Michel... Well, avoid eating in these places. The only place in Paris (next to kebabs) where you get little pictures to tell you what you are going to eat... Most of the kitchens there are really shabby and it%26#39;s known for being the most obvious tourist trap in the city!



I have heard of one fondue place in the 9th very close to Pigalle, rue de Douai that was but can%26#39;t remember the name since I really don%26#39;t miss fondue in my life.




|||



Hi Ninis:



I%26#39;m sure this answer will get poo-poo%26#39;ed by the gourmets on the list, but...





You may want to try Le Refuge des Fondus near Montmartre (17, rue des Trois Frères, 18e). See this website for more info:



thingstodo-paris.com/brochure/content.jsp…





They serve cheese and meat fondue. They also serve wine in baby bottles and you sit at very long communal tables. Okay, it%26#39;s not very nice and it%26#39;s very touristy, but it%26#39;s really fun if you%26#39;re looking for that kind of place. And the food is decent.





Have fun and bon appetit!




|||



Kasthor,



I believe the restaurant in the 9th you mention is called Le Brasier and the address is 52 rue Douai, 75009. Closest Metro stop is BLANCHE, you get off there and walk down rue Bruxelles to rue Douai. Is that where you remember it? If so, I have not been there for a while but I do remember this place and it was pretty good the last time I was there. In fact, I wish I had remembered it during my trip last month as I was staying just up the street on rue Bruxelles.




|||



Yes Mascara, that was it, I haven%26#39;t been myself but at a time I was working not too far from there and a lot of people were talking about it! There you go Ninis you have your Fondue place!




|||



You go to this place. A lot less touristy. However, I%26#39;d do raclette or fondue for lunch. It%26#39;s so incredibly heavy on your stomach for dinner. And Travelnutty is right, it%26#39;s a typical winter dish.





Les Raclettes



17, Boulevard Edgar Quinet, 14th



Métro: Edgar Quinet or Montparnasse





However, I%26#39;d prefer La Cerisaie or L%26#39;Opportun on the same street by ways. For a different cuisine, of course.




|||



Kastor -



From her description, I do not think heleup was talking about one of the places at the bottom end of the Boul%26#39;Miche.



I think she was starting out on the OTHER (east) side of the Sorbonne, turning right into the rue des Ecoles, and then right again. And this is, I believe, the restaurant she was referring to:





L%26#39;Etoile du Berger



42 rue de la Montagne Sainte-Genevieve 75005



Tél : 01-43-26-38-87





I%26#39;ve never eaten there, but I have walked by it many times, and really like the look of it. It certainly does have the heavy timbered look that heleup mentioned. And it is in a great area next to one of the most interesting churches in Paris.



So is that it, heleup? And if so my prize is...?







Ninis, am I correct that you are travelling solo or do I have you confused with someone else? Thing is, I think some places will only serve fondue to a minimum of two people. Not sure about that though, as I%26#39;ve never eaten it in Paris. (Anyway, I prefer raclette, preferably in Savoie or Switzerland.)




|||



And my apologies for mis-spelling your name, Kasthor!




|||



Mascara,



Is Brasier the restaurant looking out onto the square? If so, we nearly bought the apartment with the tiny balconettes immediately above that restaurant. It was really a beautiful apartment, but we like what we ended up with better!

No comments:

Post a Comment