Tuesday, April 24, 2012

airline question

I am flying to Paris via Lufhansa in a week. We transfer in Milan. anyone have any tips on making sure my husband and I are seated next to each other. last time we flew we didnt and had to ask people to switch. anyone with a lot of flying experience...is there a trick to this? other people seem to get seats together, what are we doing wrong?




|||



Don%26#39;t you ever reserve your seat numbers as soon as you buy your tickets? That%26#39;s what I always do with Air France?




|||



Our family of three didn%26#39;t have any problems with the seating at the time of purchase.




|||



Interesting question. When I book my Air France flight online, it doesn%26#39;t allow me to choose my seat online, like I can for domestic flights.




|||



well, my dad bought the tickets for us online, and I guess he was not able to request a seat. I think he used hotwire. Maybe that is the problem




|||



Have you called the airline anyway? You still should be able to get assigned seats.




|||



I%26#39;ve had this problem in the past when flying NWA to Amsterdam with an onward booking on KLM to Rome. I couldn%26#39;t get assigned seats on the AMS-Rome leg no matter what I did, and yes I did call NWA who act as KLM%26#39;s agents in N. America. Even when I checked in for my flight to AMS I STILL couldn%26#39;t get assigned seats. Worked out OK in AMS but it was annoying.



I%26#39;m puzzled about one thing, though. How come if you are flying Lufthansa to Paris (presumably from Boston) you are going through Milan? Seems a bit odd to me...




|||



Transfer in Milan? That%26#39;s odd, especially since LH flights out of Boston go to Munich or Frankfurt first - those are LH hub cities. %26lt;shrugging, very puzzled%26gt;





I would call LH before you leave and get to Logan as early as possible to check in. Make sure you%26#39;re both together when you check in and ask again. The Hotwire bit might be the issue - hence the routing through Milan - so you might not have much of luck. Could be that Hotwire gets the one-off seats that no other ticket company will take. Kind of like the obstructed view seats at a sports venue.




|||



Magstar, whenever I purchase a ticket online, I follow it up with a call to the airline about the seating assignments. It also gives me an opportunity to confirm all of our info and make sure they have everything correctly with food preferences, etc. and depending on the airport and/or airline find out about their %26#39;lounges%26#39; in case of long layovers.





If I don%26#39;t strike up a good conversation with the agent I%26#39;m talking to (yes this is bad) I thank them and call again. It%26#39;s amazing how different the level of information and flexibility can exist from agent to agent.





Also if the seats are ok but not great, you can always ask when you are checking in.




|||



sorry for the confusion. We are actually going via Alitalia...I got it mixed up b/c my dad is flying elsewhere in Europe same day via Lufhansa. Anyway anyone have experience with Alitalia?




|||



silvertiger, thanks for the suggestion to call until I get a %26quot;friendly%26quot; agent. I got a couple who were pretty rude (this makes me nervous about the airline) but finally got the seat assignments next to each other. Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice and if anyone has advice about Alitalia let me know

No comments:

Post a Comment