Saturday, April 21, 2012

Where would you go to splurge on lunch?

Husband and I are going to Paris in June. We love food--not sure if we know enough to be foodies, but we definitely make eating well a priority.





We plan to keep our dinners under 40 euro each. However, we%26#39;d like to go to one very upscale restaurant, and at the excellent suggestion of several posters here, will do so for lunch. The restaurants I%26#39;ve found in the Michelin Red guide that appear to have prix fix lunches in the 70 to 80 euro range are:





L%26#39;Astrance (not sure about price on this)



Les Ambassadeurs



Le Bristol



Le Cinque



Le Grand Vefour



Michel Rostang





I%26#39;ve done some background research, but any suggestions on these or any others would be much appreciated.




|||



That%26#39;s an interesting list.



I assume that you%26#39;ve already thought about Jules Verne on the Eiffel Tower. I think that%26#39;s a fun lunch splurge.




|||



I%26#39;d opt for Les Ambassadeurs because of the beauty of the setting. But have you considered Le Pré Catalan, in the Bois de Boulogne? Summer on the terrace is magical.




|||



Thanks for responding.





Is that interesting good or interesting bad? ;-)





Basically, they%26#39;re some of the two and three-starred Michelin restaurants. However, a foodie friend told me that those places don%26#39;t always serve the best food and often are impressed with themselves, so we%26#39;re definitely open to other suggestions. I%26#39;ll look into the places the two of you mentioned.




|||



I don%26#39;t know if this would be on any foodie%26#39;s list per se but I would recommend Chez Francis, which sits at the Place de l%26#39;Alma. Aside from the location - great people watching and across the way from the Eiffel Tower - the food was quite good and the service impeccable. Wonderful staff. When I was there last we had been caught in the leading edge of a rainstorm and ducked in. Even though it was close to the end of the lunchtime (2:00) they graciously seated us, dealt with our wet umbrellas and jackets and left us to enjoy our meal at a leisurely pace.




|||



It%26#39;s interesting good, because now I want to look up everything on your list!



I did a quick check in one of my favorite websites here:



http://www.eatinparis.com/



Somehow, only three of the six show up.



For what it%26#39;s worth, it rates Les Ambassadeurs a 7.4 out of 10 (with lots of happy reviews %26amp; that its chef is tops in 2/05), rates Le Bristol a 7.3 (beautiful %26amp; exceptional place 10/05), and rates Michael Rostang a 6.6 (innovative %26amp; great truffes 12/02).





For reference, Train Bleu (which is popular on this forum, and on the top of my list of next splurges...) gets a 6.4 and Jules Verne gets a 7.3.




|||



There is much good food to be had at 40 euros per person and less; the reason to splurge is setting and presentation, so for June I concur with the recommendation of Le Pré Catalan. It is resplendant with excellent cuisine. If you are Monet fans, you can visit the nearby Musee Marmottan in the morning, have your extravagant lunch, then stroll in the Bois de Boulogne before leaving the area.




|||



Dear Gracie92110:





I had a lovely Easter lunch a number of years ago at the restaurant at the Plaza Athenee hotel. After all of our lunches, they gave us a beautifully decorated chocolate egg as a gift. I went there by myself, but was treated like a queen!





I%26#39;ve also had very nice lunches at Le Procope and Le Petit Zinc, both of which are in St. Germain des Pres.





Bon chance and bon voyage!




|||



Gracie - my husband and I had lunch at Jules Verne last month -it was very good, we had a nice bottle of french white wine, the 3 course fixe prix menu and it cme to about 200 E. We had a great table by the window. I had booked through





www.bestrestaurantsinparis.com - it was very easy to use and we got really good tables with views.




|||



Merci to all for responding. And merci beaucoup to Darth for doing and sharing the research!





Pre Catelan (which does have a 70-euro lunch on weekdays) or Les Ambassadeurs sound like the frontrunners.





Can%26#39;t wait for my trip!




|||



Oh yes, Pré Catelan. That%26#39;s where I got married ! It%26#39;s magic !



lenotre.fr/fr/…pre_catelan_accueil.html

No comments:

Post a Comment