Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Euros or Francs?

I%26#39;ll be coming in to Paris from London. I%26#39;ll likely exchange money in Waterloo before the journey, but I%26#39;m curious, which currency is better? I%26#39;m thinking Euros since all the online prices I%26#39;ve seen are posted in Euros, but I just wanted to be sure. Also, I noticed a post awhile back mentioning that some pass--Museum Pass?--was cheaper to buy in London at the train station. Does anyone know if this is true?





Thanks!




|||



I cannot say if the pass is avalable and better at the train station to purchase or not, but it is available at most hotels.



I didn%26#39;t see any francs being used while I was there, only Euros and I just returned April 1st, so this was withn the last two weeks.



Enjoy your adventure!!




|||



Me thinks jkrislc was making a funny with the Francs comment.





JK ~%26gt; I was just thinking about this today because we%26#39;ll need to get some Euros before arriving at Gare du Nord. Hopefully someone will comment on the pass if it is cheaper.





Jaxin ~%26gt; I have a friend in Murfreesboro, a short hop to the Country Music Capital.




|||



French francs are no longer valid, however, as I understand it, prices must still be given in francs as well, to help customers who still feel they need the conversion.


When the franc was revalued (in the 1960%26#39;s? - one new franc was worth 100 old francs) it took years .....




|||



France switched to the Euro on January 1, 2002. Francs are not being used any more since February 17, 2002.



If you have bills in Francs, you can still exchange them at the Banque de France; coins have no more value.




|||



French FRANCS have NOT been an official currency in France since the dual-currency conversion period over to the new EMU €uro ended in 2002. If you have seen prices on-line that are listed in French Francs, then they are out-of-date web sites and most likely equally out-of-date prices.





There are NO museum (PARIS MUSEUM PASS) or public transportation (PARIS VISITÉ) pass or %26#39;packages%26#39; that will be less expensive in London--or anywhere else--than you can purchase them for at the official prices in Paris.




|||



ONWARD-



A very short jaunt to Music City USA :)



JK- I hope you find the info provided useful!




|||



The Paris Museum Pass is valid for 2, 4 or 6 days costing 38€, 55€ and 72€ respectively when purchased in Paris.





More information on the Museum Pass - and other worthwhile stuff at:



http://www.museums-of-paris.com/




|||



I wasn%26#39;t joking about the Francs, but I figured they weren%26#39;t used anymore. However, I started wondering when I started seeing prices listed in Francs, which had me wondering.





Thanks for all the wonderful input.




|||



I purchased three day Museum passes on the Raileurope website on April 3. They arrived in California on April 10, no charge for shipping, but I ordered four of them. They are $51 (USD) each. I have used them on two previous trips to Paris and they are exactly as advertised, including no waiting in line.


Expensive, but well worth the cost. Enjoy.




|||



Interesting that RailEurope is still selling 3 day Museum Passes since officially they no longer exist. Perhaps RailEurope didn%26#39;t get the memo...



The current passes are for 2, 4, or 6 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment