Monday, April 16, 2012

Can you help identify a domed building in Paris ?

Last November I made my first ever trip to France. I took many photos while there, mainly sites of historical or architectural interest. I%26#39;ve posted my pics on Webshots and have been attempting to complete the captions.





I took a picture of one magnificent domed building which I can%26#39;t identify, even after search the web and through various Paris guidebooks. Can you identify this building ?





Details: This domed building sits on the Seine on quai St-Michel facing the Pont Neuf / Isle de la Cite. Here%26#39;s my picture of it:



…webshots.com/151/…525328854vfMkRV_fs.jpg





(Here%26#39;s my complete photo album if you%26#39;re interested:



http://community.webshots.com/user/roberc567





Thanks for your help!




|||



Yep - it must be the Académie Francaise.





academie-francaise.fr/histoire/galerie.html





(hurrying back to see the rest of your pics)




|||



Hi hsmythe



I see that you took a lot of photos in Normandy - maybe you have something to share with enfermera (see his/her post about D-day)



??




|||



It is l%26#39;Académie Française




|||



Thanks all for your quick responses !




|||



Not to nit-pick, but...





It is the Institut de France, which houses the five learned academies of France of which the Académie Française is the best known.



The other four are the Academy of the Humanities (Académie des inscriptions et belles-lettres), the Academy of Fine Arts, the Academy of Sciences, and the Academy of Moral Sciences and Politics.




|||



Also it is not on the quai St-Michel but on the Place de l%26#39;Institut, between the quai Malaquais and the quai de Conti. And it faces the Pont des Arts.



The quai St-Michel runs only between the Pont St-Michel nd the next bridge upstream, the Petit Pont.

No comments:

Post a Comment