Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day trip to Monaco

I will be staying in Port Grimaud for two weeks this summer and would really like to visit Monaco while we are there. We would be relying on public transport and I would really appreciate any information about the best way to do this and whether you think it is possible/worth it just for a day visit. Thanks!





|||



There is a main line railway service along the coast which stops at Monaco. I don%26#39;t know the nearest train Station to PG (St. Tropez?)





This is a very reliable and quick way to travel along the coast and connects Cannes, Juan Les Pins ,Nice, Menton, Monaco(Monte Carlo)etc etc.



this is probably the best way to travel along the coast in summer due to congestion on the roads.





Using the train makes a day visit easily achievable




|||



Why not stop and visit Eze ??



I found it much more enjoyable than Monacco or Monte Carlo.



Just a thought...I think almost everyone who goes to Eze,absolutely loves it!!



Enjoy !!



CRUISELADY




|||



Go on the SNCF site for schedules and locations of train stations.



http://www.ter-sncf.com/paca/Default.htm





There is no train station in St-Tropez. Closest station to POrt Grimaud could very well be Fréjus.




|||



Well you%26#39;ve been given some pretty sketchy advice so far. If this is an example of a %26quot;local expert%26quot; then I can only say that I%26#39;m surprised. Port Grimaud is not St Tropez so what the relevence of the lack of a train station in the latter is I%26#39;m nor sure.





First of all, let me emphasise that the coast road along from Port Grimaud to St Maxime and Frejus is VERY busy for the whole of the summer, making day trips somewhat fraught. The nearest station may well be Frejus, but very few trains actually stop there and you would need to go to St Raphael, or preferably Cannes, from where there is a frequent service to Nice and Monaco. I believe there is a bus service (you see I admit when I don%26#39;t actually know) but it would be subject to traffic delays.





Go to Eze by all means but actually I prefer Monaco, since it it absolutely unique - there%26#39;s not another place like it. But I remain sceptical about whether you could do it in a day. The train from St Raphael to Monaco takes anything up to 90 minutes, but it%26#39;s getting to and from there that will be the problem.




|||



Thanks for all the advice - I see that the journey between Port Grimaud and Frejus/St Raphael might be the problem. It looks like there may be a bus but I am not sure how long the journey is - it sounds like the roads are a bit of a nightmare at this time of year!




|||



Hey aardvak, I am a local expert for Nice not Port Grimaud. And when I am not sure I am not sure. And I am not a local expert to get insulted, we are there on a voluntary basis to help whenever we can help. TYour attitude is by no means aggressive and not welcome here.




|||



Hey wmca6, don%26#39;t be so touchy. Just where have you been insulted? And as for %26quot;your attitude is by no means aggresive and not welcome here%26quot; I presume you meant something else. If you mean that I impled your reply was of little use to the questioner, that is correct. This is not an insult or being aggresive, it%26#39;s simply a statement of fact.




|||



I too posted in the spirit of this site



i.e to assist others and keep a post going



I noticed that there wasn%26#39;t any replies so I put up some info of a general nature to get things going.





I said %26#39;assist%26#39; people not hold their hand. I wouldn%26#39;t presume to patronise. I am sure %26#39;Mollie%26quot; once she knew about the trains would be able to google up some more accurate info.





I am sorry if the info was %26#39;sketchy but having travelled between Nice and Monaco several times without setting foot in Port Grimaud I chose to post general information rather than misleading information.





anyway this is about getting Mollie to Monaco





and I am sure that she will be able to do that now using the excellent train service TGV possibly with the aid of a free timetable or two.





good Luck Molly and enjoy Monaco, and Eze and Menton if possible




|||



I%26#39;m sorry leuca, I have to disagree with you. I%26#39;ve no wish to upset anyone or sound aggressive and apologise if that is how it has come across.





The spirit of this site is actually to share personal opinions and experiences of places others have visited, not to quote the odd web site address. As you say, the purpose is to get Mllie to Monaco. The most difficult part of this is the journey from Port Grimaud to a suitable rail station; indeed, it is this part of the journey which would determine the feasibility of a day trip. The rail bit is easy!




|||



I am now as curious as Mollie aardvark-After establishing one solution -take the train





we are stll vexxed as to the problem that you have identified; just how to get from PG to the nearest train station to catch the train to MC. I have done my bit so I%26#39;ll leave that part to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment