Friday, March 30, 2012

Last minute Paris trip for single gal - Apartment or hotel?

Hi all! I have the opportunity to take a week long last minute trip to Paris by myself, leaving in just 3 weeks (trying to take advantage of cheap flight). I am a single woman in her early 30%26#39;s and would like to stay in the 6th, 5th or 4th district (in that order). I%26#39;m looking to be as close to the Seine as possible, nearby cafes %26amp; restaurants, and definitely close to a metro.





Can you recommend a 2 1/2 or 3 star hotel? I would like to pay no more than 125 euro/night.





I had considered staying in a vacation apartment but since I don%26#39;t really need a kitchen since I%26#39;m alone and can live off bread, cheese %26amp; wine anyway (none of which need refrigeration), I%26#39;m thinking I might more enjoy a hotel better. However I also wouldn%26#39;t mind a more neighborhood feel so that it%26#39;s like I%26#39;m %26quot;living%26quot; in Paris for that week.





Any advice is very appreciated! Thanks.



Shauna




|||



Are you familiar with the Ile St. Louis? It%26#39;s one of the most charming places in Paris. It%26#39;s an island with 17th Cent architecture in the middle of the Seine attached by a small bridge to the Ile de la Cite where Notre Dame Cathedral sits. Very central and incredibly charming. It%26#39;s in the 4th Arr. and you can easily access both left and right banks from the island. All of the hotels and restaurants are small but quite lovely. The Hotel St. Louis, 75 rue-St.Louis-en-Ile, is a real find. (Tel. 01-46-34-04-80). Ask for a top floor room with balcony and you%26#39;ll have a fabulous vue. There is a breakfast room in the cellar with stone vaulting. Bon Voyage!




|||



Hi, Shauna. I%26#39;m sure you will have a fabulous time on your own! From my own personal experience going to Paris solo my first time, I would stay in a hotel. At least then you have someone at the front desk to ask questions to -- how to find the nearest ATM, recommendations for good restaurants, etc. You don%26#39;t feel so isolated.





I know there are advantages to an apartment, but you can still get that neighborhood feel in plenty of hotels -- you walk out the front door, and you have cafes and restaurants and shops and everything Parisian! I%26#39;ve stayed at both Hotel St-Jacques and Hotel du College de France in the 5e and liked them both. I think they%26#39;re in your price range. By the way, I have the same order of preference for neighborhoods (tie between 5e and 6e, then 4e). These are all great for someone in their 30s.





I%26#39;m not sure about keeping cheese unrefrigerated -- a lot of it is not pasteurized in France, so don%26#39;t know how well it keeps. But if you stay in the 4e, 5e or 6e (close to la Seine), you should have plenty of places nearby to grab fabulous food, as cheaply or as expensive as you%26#39;d like! If you stay near Place Maubert (where both the above hotels are located), there is a little charcuterie by the metro that sells mini-quiches to go each morning, a cheap and delicious breakfast.





And if you%26#39;re not shy, I would recommend exploring restaurants, brasseries and bars at night. Most of all, I would recommend walking through the beautiful neighborhoods. Being alone can be even more rewarding than going with other people because you can drop your intinerary and just explore.





Hope that helps. Bonne chance!




|||



I stayed at Hotel Delavigne 2 weeks ago. It is in the 6th district, one block south of Avenue St. Germain, the Odeon Metro stop and bus stop. It is 3 blocks north of the Jardin de Luxemburg which I strongly recommend visiting - perfect place to relax, eat a meal and people watch, enjoying beautiful surroundings. A room with a double bed and bath is 120 Euros per night. A room with a single bed and shower is 105 Euros/night. I stayed in the one with a bath and although small, it was comfortable and well furnished. I thought it was an excellent value for the area.





I agree with others that a hotel is best for a first visit.




|||



Finding a good moderately priced hotel with a room available for a week in May might not be easy, especially in the 4th, 5th or 6th. I%26#39;d suggest you go ASAP to one of the many online booking sites to see what you can find in the way of availability. (I%26#39;m not going to recommend one in particular since I don%26#39;t use them myself.)



If you see something you like check the reviews here, and ask specifically about that hotel. There%26#39;s not a lot of point getting recommendations for hotels that will most likely be fully booked. The couple I can think of in the 4th that meet your price and quality expectations are always booked at least two and sometimes three months ahead.



Also, many hotels will not have a single room so you will probably be paying for a double, but the price is per room not per person in any case.



Good luck!





PS: I will just mention this site which has only recently come to my notice:



http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/



I have no personal experience with it, and mention it only because it seems to have a few hotels that are not quite as well known.



Also check these two places which were recommended by a Forum member who lives in Paris and which are not as well known, therefore perhaps less likely to be full.





Hotel Chopin



http://www.hotelchopin.fr





Hotel Mayet



http:/www.mayet.com




|||



Definitely check availability ASAP.





Website addresses:



Hotel Delavigne



http://www.delavigne-paris-hotel.com/





Next door neighbor hotel (2 star) - good reviews:



Grand Hotel de Balcons



http://paris-hotel-grandbalcons.com/





6th District about 2 blocks north of Jardins de Luxemburg a block from the hotels mentioned above (also good reviews)



Hotel Saint Paul Rive Gauche (3 star), 43 rue Monsieur le Prince



http://www.h-saintpaul.com/




|||



Hotel Beaubourg near Pompideau Center in the 4th has single rooms, a/c with shower for 112 Euros. I am booked to stay there in the summer. I%26#39;ve read good reviews on it, it was recommended in travel books, and seems to be close to the center area.





beaubourg-paris-hotel.com/English/TheHotel1.…

No comments:

Post a Comment