Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Le coupe Chou - how to dress for dinner in August

I will be going to Paris on my honeymoon in August and the hotel where I am staying in the 7th (K%26amp;K Hotel Cayre) recommended Le coupe Chou for a romantic dinner. How do we dress for this restaurant?





Thanks




|||



I dined there with other TA poster%26#39;s in May. August will be hot. I had seen everything from jeans to dresses, nothing formal though. I would say just keep the heat in mind- no shorts, but a nice skirt or linen pants to keep cool is fine. Jeans may be too hot. A nice sun-dress with nice sandles, fine too.





Enjoy!




|||



In the heat of summer (most smaller local restaurants aren%26#39;t air conditioned and doors and large windows remain open to allow air movement), most dress for restaurants tends to be more relaxed and casual...but otherwise one would %26#39;dress%26#39; for a %26quot;..romantic dinner..%26quot; at a charming little restaurant in Paris, like Le Coup-Chou, as one might dress for one in NYC. That %26#39;..killer..%26#39; little summer dress you%26#39;ve had your eye on...but have been waiting for it to go on sale...would probably be perfect.




|||



OK, I just can%26#39;t resist this opportunity for a dig at the %26quot;pet%26quot; restaurant touristique of T.A.....





Just wear whatever you%26#39;d wear at home. Coupe Chou will be filled with folks from back home, anyway!




|||



Thanks for the input. I have enjoyed reading all of your helpful and informative posts and I can%26#39;t wait to arrive in Paris.





Truffaut, tell me more. The reason I menioned this restaurant is that my hotel recommended it. I am open to any other suggestions. Is there a restaurant that you would recommend over this one for a romantic honeymoon dinner? I would like to stay close to my hotel.





Thanks again for your info.




|||



Tinka,



I have to admit that I%26#39;ve never been to Coupe Chou. I try my best to avoid restaurants that are filled with American tourists, and from everything I%26#39;ve read or heard, CC is just exactly that. I must say, however, that everyone here seems to like it. Romance is not something I generally look for in a restaurant, so I don%26#39;t think I can be of much help in recommending a romantic honeymoon restaurant.




|||



Thank goodness, another post on Le Coupe Chou. A day without a post about Le Coupe Chou is like a day without sunshine.





I like Le Coupe Chou. It is romantic, the price is right, and the food is good. However, if you want a REALLY romantic restaurant, try 1728.




|||



I%26#39;m going to join Truffaut%26#39;s %26quot;I%26#39;ve never eaten at Le Coupe-Chou, and I never will%26quot; club. I%26#39;ve walked by the place at least a half dozen times, and have looked at the menu each time (I%26#39;m a compulsive menu-licker). I%26#39;ve never even been seriously tempted by it.



Its appearance - self-consciously %26quot;medieval%26quot; - puts me in mind of all those %26quot;Ye Olde Whatever%26quot; tea-shops in England. Even more it reminds me of a place we stopped for lunch along the Autoroute in Switzerland once that had a large restaurant (which wasn%26#39;t bad for a quickie) and a huge play area/mimi theme park/petting zoo called Heidiland (!) filled with every clichéd Swiss stereotype you can imagine.



The menu at Le C-C strikes me as over-priced. You can certainly get every dish on their menu in dozens of places in central Paris for less.



And from everything I%26#39;ve read on this forum I think the cuisine is fair at best.



But then again, I%26#39;ve never eaten there - and I never will.



If you want really good food, go somewhere else. If you want gourmet food absolutely go somewhere else. If you just want an %26quot;experience%26quot; and this is the experience you want - enjoy!




|||



O God, here we go again.





Truffaut and IrishRovr are wailing once



again against Le Coupe Chou.





I will continue to lead the loyal opposition...and I%26#39;VE eaten there



and neither one of them have.





1. It is a charming restaurant, with a nice



set up and nicely furnished.





2. The food was very good. I had the E32



menu.





3. The service was excellent.





When you look at their web page you will



get a sense of what the restaurant is like.



When you get to the restaurant it looks



just like the website.





When I ate there last September, most of



the people I could see were speaking French.





I wore slacks and a sportcoat, other men



wore white shirts (I don%26#39;t own one) and



a tie (I don%26#39;t wear them).





I generally enjoy and agree with Truffaut and



IrishRovr%26#39;s posts BUT NOT ON THIS ONE.





Their arguments sounds like the attorney who



stands up in front of the jury for his



summation and says %26quot;Ladies and gentlemen



of the jury, these are the conclusions



upon which I base my facts%26quot;.





And, I don%26#39;t think they will be changing



their views, even if they go to Le Coupe



Chou.





When John Glenn went up is his first



space flight, someone from Houston Control



called him and ask what he saw.



Glenn%26#39;s response was classic. He said,



%26quot;Even if I had the words to tell you,



you wouldn%26#39;t have the ears to hear it %26quot;




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;I have to admit that I%26#39;ve never been to Coupe Chou. I try my best to avoid restaurants that are filled with American tourists%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





That%26#39;s going to come as a shock to the many resident Parisians who dine there as well.....or else they%26#39;re very cleverly disguised American tourists, who speak fluent French. Le Coupe-Chou has basically good (but not %26#39;great%26#39;) food; very good service, modest prices, convivial atmosphere and positively charming/romantic ambience....but then what do Parisians know about restaurants or romance anyway?




|||



My Italian-born husband and I (Asian-American) went to LCC in May 2005.





We think it%26#39;s a beautiful place. We did not find it packed with only American tourists.





The food is okay --not the best, certainly-- so judge for yourself what%26#39;s important. Food or atmosphere?





We found the prices reasonable.





Also the building housing LCC is quite old, with an interesting history.





Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment