Friday, March 30, 2012

Best Western Le Nouvel Orleans - travel directions

Hi. I will be in Paris for four days in May, staying at the BW Le Nouvel Orleans. I likely will be buying a carte orange travel pass as I arrive on a Monday. I am arriving on the Eurostar and will be leaving on the Thalys. I%26#39;ve looked at the RATP website, but would still appreciate some insight on the easiest route to and from the trains, as I will of course be carrying luggage. Is the RER my best option (it seems to involve more walking - tough with luggage) or the metro? Any other suggestions/comments about the area I am staying in are welcome as well. Thank you in advance for your assistance!




|||



Your hotel is located at 25, Avenue Du General Leclerc, in the 14th arrondissement. The closes metro stop is Mouton-Duvernet (about 150 m).



However, for your connection to the Gare du Nord, you might as well take the metro/RER station Denfert-Rochereau, which is just 200 m further down the road. There is a straight connection from Denfert-Rochereau to Gare du Nord - which makes it very convenient.




|||



You can either take metro line 4 from GdNord to Mouton Duvernet, and cross the street to your hotel...



or you can take the RER to Denfert and walk 2-3 blocks with your luggage.



The metro takes a few minutes longer but less walking.



There are a few stops on the RER between GdNord and Denfert, so it isn%26#39;t anymore a %26#39;straight shot%26#39; than is the metro.



p.s. I stay in this area and have done this at least 5 times.




|||



Thank you for your advice, JanToo and Travelnutty. I presume there is no problem taking luggage onto either the metro or the RER? Do I just keep the luggage with me? Travelling by train will be a completely new experience for me.



Travelnutty, I know I have read some of your other posts about the area in which I am staying. If you have any specific advice or recommendations, particularly for food/pubs/restaurants, it would be much appreciated.



A little over three weeks until I travel (first to London) and I am getting very excited!




|||



The only issue with either is you will most likely encounter stairs. We only pack 1 carryon + 1 bookbag each, so we can handle our own bags and go up stairs with no trouble.



Coming out of Mouton Duvernet, you can choose stairs or escalator(the furthest over, past the stairs). The escalator only comes up, not down. We always use metro from GdNord to Mouton Duvernet.





We only use the RER between hotel and the airport. There is an elevator in the Denfert station - we%26#39;ve used it and the stairs, different times, no problem.





We are still exploring the area, but have eaten at Café le Rendezvous, cafe d%26#39;Enfer, a couple boulangeries and the Pizza Hut (!). Planning to try L%26#39;Art des Mets, just across from cemetery. Honestly, though, just take a brief walk in the area and choose your own places. There are several cafes on avenue du Gen Leclerc, b/t Denfert and Porte d%26#39;Orleans.





Two well-recommended restaurants in the broader general area are Le Regelade and l%26#39;Avant Gout (13th). (no personal experience but a quick google will tell you these are well-regarded).





Bus#38 stops in front of the hotel (I think - I get the taxi stand and the bus stand mixed up) and goes along Jardin de Luxembourg, St Michel, Cité, Chatelet, and G.du Nord.




|||



Oops, as far as luggage on the trains, yes they are just commuter trains - keep your bag at your feet and try not to sit by the doorway (precaution to avoid bag-snatch and run). Simple awareness should be sufficient.





Also, in Gare du Nord, ignore strangers who approach and offer to %26#39;help%26#39; you with buying tickets and such. Just %26#39;non%26#39; and keep walking.




|||



Thanks Travelnutty. As I will be in Europe for four weeks [and because I am female :)], I will have a large suitcase as well as a carry-on, but I will manage. I suspect the train might be easier than the bus as far as that goes. Your tips/advice are much appreciated.




|||



Yeah, I threw that bus info in for sightseeing more than transport with luggage. Buses can be crowded at times during commuter hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment