Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Smaller french cities: to prebook or not

I%26#39;m planning to stay in cities like Amboise, Sarlat, Carcassone,and Arles, (or maybe Avignon) and Chamonix. For the smaller cities, would it be better to just go there and find a hotel using the local TI or a guidebook? Or should I prebook everything ahead of time. I%26#39;ll be spending around 2 days in each city during June.





Thanks!




|||



My sister-in-law, who is French and lives in Lyon, assured us that we would be able to get accomodation in June without too much problem - she advised that we just go to the tourist offices in the town we wanted to stay in. However, others on this forum suggested booking and I am a bit of a %26quot;nervous nelly%26quot; so I booked my stay in the Loire Valley - mainly I did not want to waste time trying to find something with a room that was decent. My husband agreed with his sister but went along with my whim!




|||



Finding accomodations in France is different from what we Americans are accustomed. French Hotels become booked early, particularily in tourist locations in summer months. In the US, one can usually find a room somewhere when traveling just about anytime but this is not always so in France.



If you have a hotel in mind for any of these cities, I should book now, just to be sure. You can always cancel latter if you travel plans change, but trying to find a hotel for %26quot;tonight%26quot; is not always a pleasant experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment