Tuesday, March 27, 2012

nice to portofino

how far from nice to portofino and can it be done in 1 day by car?








|||



At a guess 250km and close to 3 hours if there are no traffic tie-ups. Can it be done? Yes. Would I do it? No.



Actual distance and time estimates at www.viamichelin.com




|||



We drove from Cannes to Portofino last year in a day, and we %26quot;were%26quot; stuck in traffic. It was a terrible jam for miles ~ very frustrating. However, we nevertheless managed to have a lovely lunch on the coast, getting off and then back onto the Autostrada, and that took a while!





We arrived in Portofino late afternoon, strolled around for a while and then checked into a suite at the Nazionale (a rather seedy but charming hotel smack in the square).




|||



Soames -



I may have misunderstood the original post. I thought SpotTheDog wanted to go there and back in a day. I would certainly drive one way without worrying about it.




|||



Hey ~ Irish, may it was I who misunderstood LOL.





I certainly wouldn%26#39;t do it in a day :)




|||



thanks both of you. It was one way




|||



any suggestions of a place to stay between portofino and Venice?? Thanks




|||



Sorry Spot but can%26#39;t help you with that at this time.





I suggest you ask in the Italy Forum. Have fun on your trip!





Oh, by the way we had a great time in Melbourne 2 yrs ago. Stayed at the Lindrum Hotel (boutique); in the room was a %26quot;menu%26quot; for various %26quot;Pillows%26quot;! LOL




|||



Hi Spot -



You must have though I was a real wuss! I can hear it now: %26quot;He wouldn%26#39;t drive three hours in a day? Heck, in Australia we drive that far for lunch!%26quot; or something like that.



You could make it from Portofino to Venice in one day too. If you want to break the journey, I%26#39;d suggest Verona, which is an interesting town, definitely worth exploring. It%26#39;s a good bit closer to Venice than Verona though.



I don%26#39;t have a specific hotel recommendation either, I%26#39;m afraid. Did stay in a nice and reasonably priced place in the middle of the historic area, but it was a few years ago and I don%26#39;t recall the name of the place. I think there are a fair number of hotels in the town.



One word of caution about Venice - if you are laving your car in the public parking, do not leave ANYTHING in it. Things have been known to disappear...



have a great trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment