Thursday, April 19, 2012

Trip Report...DAY 2

DAY 2 Sunday





Today started out with a bold move. We decided to chance going to the Louvre and checking out how bad the crowds would be considering it was the free day. It was a little bit drizzly out, so it seemed a good time to be indoors. We arrived right around opening through the direct entrance via the metro stop. We were pleasantly surprised to see people entering at a rather nice pace, so we joined suit. We started off with my absolute favorite…The Winged Victory. She is just breathtaking! I love that feeling of walking down the long corridor and then…she appears. I get chills just thinking about it. And my mom’s gasp said it all. There is just a power about her…standing alone at the top of a marble staircase. We stared for a while, took some pictures, and stared some more. We then continued on up the stairs and went to the Grand Gallery. We stopped and admired some Da Vinci’s; I tried to share some of the symbolism with her…as much as I could remember from art history class. Then we moved into the State Room and saw Mona….we’re on a first name basis Mona and I. I think it’s hard for Mona to live up to her reputation—especially sharing a room with The Wedding Feast at Cana! WE continued on the David’s The Coronation of Napoleon and the crowned jewels. Then we went and walked through the Egyptian Wing, Mesopotamian Wing, and the apartments of Napoleon III. Whoooo! What a great way to spend Sunday morning. When we made it out to the courtyard near the pyramid…there was a nice long line to get in through security. We really lucked out.





We jumped on the Metro and headed over to Chatelet. We took a nice walk past the Pompidou Center and into the Marais. We knew that there would be shops open here on Sunday…and they were! Our first stop was at L’As de Falafel. Those of you who have dined here know the joyous reunion it is to return. You know you’re getting close because you start passing people that are walking while trying to eat falafel. We went in and out of shops along the way to the Musee Carnevalet. I had never been successful in past attempts to make it to this museum…for random reasons. But it worked today. We rested our feet on the bench in the front courtyard…and the sun! This really is a beautiful building and has two courtyards of gardens separated by stone pillars. I sat for a good fifteen minutes watching a group of school girls (possibly girls scouts) chasing each other in a game of tag. Young French children take me back to when I talk in France in the primary schools. We enjoyed that building and art that the Carnevalet had to offer. I think it’s one of those secret treasures that Paris has so many of.





We continued down the road to the Place Des Vosges. Stopping again for a rest before entering Victor Hugo’s house. This royal square never fails to have a group of musicians there to perform for the pedestrians. And with the antiques and grand arcades…how can one not feel transported back to the time of Henri II?!





It was then back to the hotel to freshen up for dinner. We had a very lovely meal at La Terrasse, just on the corner near Ecole Militaire metro stop. A nice cut of Filet Mignon and Roquefort salad!





More to come…




|||



IMPRESSED by your Grand Tour de Musées ! Careful now, so you won%26#39;t totally wear out your poor mom ....




|||



Your report is a feast for the senses! thank you for sharing it..





Where exactly was the Falafel stand, bummed that we missed it on our trip last month while looking for Mariage Ferers tea salon.





look forward to Day 3.




|||



I am so enjoying this! Your writing is so alive and your descriptive skill is a delight.



I too think the Carnavalet is a jewel, and its courtyard gardens a pleasure. For many years now the Marais has been my preferred place to rest my head - and my soul - while I am in Paris.



Interesting that you taught for a while in Paris. How was that experience? (I have a niece who has been teaching in France for several years now.)





SilverTiger - L%26#39;As du Falafel is at 34 rue des Rosiers. Too bad you missed it - but yet another reason to go back, no?




|||



If I am not mistaken it is on rue des Rosiers. And it is worth a visit! It costs 4 euro for a falafel and you won%26#39;t be hungry for about 6 hours...maybe more!




|||



Oh Irish...you beet me by 3 whole minutes...and you even got the street number! IMPRESSIVE!!! :)




|||



Excellent reports! I%26#39;m copying and saving, to give us guidance, too ;)



Merci!



M




|||



RPL67 -



Not really impressive. Some questions are just too easy...



By the way, up to now you have been the unchallenged queen of the TAPF Trip Report in my book. I am not saying you have been surpassed, but you do have a serious challenger!



So get you back to Paris, woman, and hone those writing skills in another multi-day saga!





:%26gt;)





L-







PS: Did you ever go to the Ireland forums to ask any of those questions? I looked but didn%26#39;t find you there...




|||



did you happen to get the audio tour at Louvre? I too have always felt a shiver up my spine as I approached the Victory. Last time I got the audio guide and they described how she would have been attached to the prow of a ship, crashing through the waves and setting the course. Can you imagine THAT coming at you in battle? Victory would indeed be assured...





I was going to take mom on an Alaskan cruise for her 60th but perhaps back to Paris. hmmmm...




|||



%26quot;how can one not feel transported back to the time of Henri II?!%26quot;





Well, in the time of Henri II you would have been transported into a mere field, since the place des Vosges (then place Royale), was built 60 years later, by Henri IV.




|||



To Bob S.



Why these sarcastic comments ?

No comments:

Post a Comment