Monday, April 16, 2012

Getting over jet lag

I seem to have no problem adjusting to the time change going to Paris -- I just stay up a painful 35 hours the first day (from wakeup time in the U.S. to bedtime in France), and then I%26#39;m on Paris time.





But coming home, it takes me a week to readjust to Eastern Time. No matter what time I go to bed, I still wake up on French time. I go to bed at 11:30 p.m., I wake up at 3:30 a.m. Does anyone else have this problem?





I found this survey by British Airways that gives tips on overcoming jet lag. Thought I%26#39;d share, and maybe I%26#39;ll try it next time.





britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb




|||



I find it easier to get over the lag when I fly Europe - US than US - Europe. I am good to go in a couple of days after getting to the US but it takes me a week to get back on schedule here.




|||



Mediachick, I%26#39;m just like you. I don%26#39;t have a problem upon arrival in Paris, but it hits once I get back home and it takes me 7-10 days to get readjusted. I wake up at 1:00 am and can%26#39;t keep my eyes open past 6:00 pm. Thanks for posting the British Airways link--that was interesting!




|||



Most people get jet lag when flying east .... strange that you suffer from it going west? Just take pain killers %26amp; energy drinks %26amp; you%26#39;ll be fine after a few hours ....




|||



Morgan, it%26#39;s interesting that you also have trouble adjusting when you go back home. Maybe it%26#39;s easier to shift gears on vacation...





Pain killers? Not sure that will help the jet lag, but thanks for the suggestion. Are you prescribing?




|||



I definately had more trouble flying east. I kept waking up at 2 or 3 am, fully ready to go, and hungry! Luckily our first 5 days were spent in England, at a friends home, so I just went and raided the fridge!





Maybe those of you who suffer more going west just don%26#39;t notice the jet lag as much on the way there as you are living on the adreniline of travel!




|||



I agree, I have a terrible time when going west as well. I am ok within a day after arriving in Europe, but coming home it takes me at least a week to get back on a regular schedule.




|||



Maybe its just excitement? I am always happy to return to the US to see family and friends. At the end of my trip I am coming home and back to the grind. But as I am a night owl , when I get to the US in the middle of the afternoon it is fairly easy for me to push on until 9 or 10 pm and then sleep the entire night. The next day I sag a bit in the afternoon but by day 3 am on the schedule. Were as when I get to France its usually in the AM and I have lost a night of sleep rather than simply %26quot;staying up late%26quot; .

No comments:

Post a Comment