Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Apartment in Paris

I have just rented a studio apartment in the 16th arrondissement in Paris for the month of November. I am so excited I am practically levitating! While I have gone to Paris every year for many years, this is something I have dreamed about doing for many years. I must thank the contributors to this forum because reading all the helpful and entertaining posts were definitely a factor in my decision.




|||



Ajeanette, I am doing exactly the same thing in October!! I have become obsessed with Paris in the last 2 1/2 years with a several visits and even taking up French lessons. So, in Paris for my 40th birthday (which is a few months prior) I am taking a much needed sabbitical in Paris. I am also taking French classes at the Alliance Francais!





I am glad you found an apartment! I am currently going crazy trying to decide on one as we speak. I will be staying in the 5th/6th. Who did you rent through?





It is too bad we aren%26#39;t going the same month as I would be interested in meeting you for a drink or something!




|||



Since I live in New York City, I chose to work with NYHabitat since they have an office in New York City in addition to an internet site. Fortunately, I have quite a few frequent flyer miles as a result of my previous travel to Paris and the five years during which I flew as a courier to Europe about four times a year. My early retirement and the recent serious illness of a close friend were also significant factors in deciding to do this while I have my health and the time to do it. And, it actually is less expensive than staying in a two-star hotel as I had previously planned.




|||



Hello ajeanette!





Wow, how exciting for you! You will have such a wonderful time. Like yourself, I have been going to Paris every year for the last 4 years, and this last February I rented an apartment for the entire month. It was just a dream! I liked being able to make alot of my own meals, and having frosted flakes for breakfast was fun, because as odd as it must seem to just about everybody, I am not a fan of pain du chocolate! I became a regular at the Monoprix, and I think I cleaned them out of their supply of cheap chardonney! My friend pan grilled us filet mignons in garlic and the chardonney, and they came out so wonderful! (and they were cheap, like 4 euro a piece!) It%26#39;s nice to visit the same shops, like the boulangerie, because the shopkeepers get to know you, and become so friendly!





Anyhow, I am excited for you! I have a week off in October, and I am going to try to scrounge up the money to go again!





lasscass




|||



While I love living in New York City, I am really looking forward to feeling like a Parisian, if only for a month. Just to know that if you are tired, you have the luxury of just deciding to sleep in. Also, as you say, I like the idea of becoming familiar with the neigborhood in which my apartment is located. The fact that I can get a monthly transporation pass and having cooking and laundry facilites in my apartment will make it feel more like my home and will also cut down on my expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment