Monday, April 16, 2012

Trip Report...DAY 4

DAY 4 Tuesday





Before heading out for the day I talked with our hotel manager about the strike and if it would affect our plans. We were planning on heading straight to le Gare St. Lazare to go to Giverny. Thanks to the advice from out hotel manager we decided to move that to another day and not risk getting a train back into Paris, one of the benefits of having a flexible schedule.





So, my mom and I went to Les Invalides. We bought 2-day museum passes there and went in and saw Napoleon’s tomb. Had we had more time we would have gone through the war museum (which is really interesting and worth it if you have the time). From there we took the metro to the Opera Garnier. They weren’t allowing any tours for the next hour so; thanks to some earlier research I had the address of the Fragonard Perfume Boutique just around the corner on rue Scribe. We took a self-guided tour of the perfume museum and viewed the tools and instruments used in the process of making perfume. Then you finish your visit in the boutique to sample and buy. Then it was back to the opera house. We were especially delighted to see two balcony boxes open to go in and view the main hall. It’s fun to walk around and see the ornate decorations and beautiful mosaic floors, but no entrance is allowed to the back end of the opera. I had to bring my mom here and didn’t mind returning myself for we have a great love for the story of the Phantom of the Opera. Maybe next time we’ll get tickets for an event. And of course we had to do some shopping before leaving the area. I found plenty in H%26amp;M, which are starting to pop up all over the U.S. (I have mixed feelings about that, but will continue to enjoy the ones in Paris)





In an attempt to get back on schedule we headed over to Musee D’Orsay. And well, it wasn’t really a shock to find it closed in support of the strike. Be flexible, flexible, flexible. So, with some time to kill before dinner we found a nice café near our restaurant in the Latin Quarter and decided to kick back and do some people watching. One of my observations…the women love their high heels!! Now don’t get me wrong I am a fan of them myself, but it amazes me to see them walking all over town in them…and on cobblestone!! Does this amaze anyone else? It’s either something in their genes, or they killed their nerve endings long ago. Just a thought.





We ate dinner at Le Grand Bistro on rue St. Severin. They specialize in fondue and raclette. We had the raclette and is was just as good as I had remembered. It has a fun atmosphere, big wooden tables and chairs and low lighting. Feels very much like a mountain lodge or cabin. Like you’ve been transported somewhere in the Alps.





Still to come…the day trips!




|||



I am sooo jealous that you were able to tour the Opera house. When I went, they were rehearsing and I could not get in! I put it on my pist for next trip! I too am a huge a ouf Phantom of the Opera. Saw it with my Mom on Broadway a few years back. Glad you took all of the closures in stride....




|||



Thank you for a lively report that brings such joy and good humour !





Oooh the Parisiennes and their tight skirts and high heels........ we shall never know since this is one of the Grand Secrets: how do they manage ??

No comments:

Post a Comment