Thursday, April 12, 2012

Rue Cler or Marais to stay? `

First time to Paris; researched and am down to these two areas based on book recommendations. I realize that Marais may have more nightlife, but not necessarily looking for that, but it is somewhat more central. I wonder about being too far out of the center if we are in Rue Cler, but then Rue Cler does sound more quiet and perhaps more of the locals? I%26#39;d like to be near decent bakeries/restaurants for breakfast and evening - probably will be all over town during the mid day. Want to be convenient to bus and trains. I have hotels picked out in each area, just wondering of advantages of one area over the other? Thanks.




|||



MarrylinKK,





I am headed for Paris on May 1st and am going to stay in the 7th--again. We stayed there during our first visit and loved the area! We met some very nice locals who were all very friendly and helpful! It is not the %26quot;party area%26quot; but that was OK with us. Lots of darling hotels in the area also and some nice restaurants nearby.




|||



Thank you - how would you rate the convenience of the area to get to attractions? Is Marais more central, or does it really matter - you must either travel to that side of the city from Rue Cler, or vise-versa ...




|||



Hi Marylin, one of the local experts for Paris lives in and recommends the 7th and has written a lot on it that you will find if you do a search on the forum for %26quot;the 7th%26quot;.





I am not a fan of the 7th and like to stay more centrally. The Marais, particularly the part that is in the 4th and near the Seine, is my all time favourite. It is packed with patisseries, cafes, brasseries etc and you can get to the Latin Quarter and St Germain via the 2 islands within 15 minutes




|||



I much prefer the Marais of your two areas. There are many shops, including bakeries in the area, and a ton of restaurants and cafes. The Marais%26#39; nightlife is, for the most part, more of the restaurant/cafe variety (and a few bars) rather than clubs and the like.



Much of the area has a real %26quot;neighborhood%26quot; feel to it, albeit a definitely urban neighborhood. I%26#39;d say you%26#39;ll definitely have a more %26quot;local%26quot; feel along rue St. Antoine than you will in rue Cler.



Whichever end of the fourth you are in you have ready access to four metro lines - though not the same four - a total of six.



And from most of the 4th you are at most a ten minute walk from Notre Dame.



There are also several good museums right in the area - the Picasso, Carnavalet and Cognacq-Jay being the best known - and the Pompidou is on the edgw of the area too.



Finally the Marais is much the more historic - and architecturally varied - of the two areas.



I do unederstand why some people prefer the 7th, and if I were living in Paris rather than visiting I might very well too, but there is something very exciting as a visitor to walk out your hotel door right into a thriving busy = and very Parisian - neighborhood.




|||



Irish is absolutely correct IMHO but I%26#39;d go a step further to say that the 7th can be downright boring, especially on Sundays and bank holidays. The 4th is always buzzing with people and things to do and there are wonderful food options everywhere. Of course, I might be a bit biased.




|||



Thanks Irish %26amp; Metro, I always appreciate reading good reports on the Marais, as this is the area I%26#39;ve chosen to make home during my first visit to Paris--in December!





I guess you could say I am very excited about my visit since I%26#39;m beginning to plan the details of my stay this far in advance.





Marylin, I have read many messages on this forum, and have concluded that each arr. in central Paris has its own charm and intrigue, so no matter which area you choose, you will enjoy simply being in Paris.





I will add that my close friend and her husband stayed in the 7th arr. and thoroughly enjoyed it, but since I%26#39;m traveling solo, I thought it was more important to be around a bit more activity and stimuli.





Bon voyage!




|||



IMO the best place to stay if you are not too interested in exciting night life is Madeleine.



Safe, good shopping, restaurants, wine bars, numerous buses and metros.



You can walk to Concorde, Tuileries, Louvre, Champs Elysees, Opera in minutes.



Rue Cler is not what it used to be re. stores and it probably has the highest density of American tourists per square meter.



Marais is wonderful for history, architecture and creative boutiques. I do not find it very practical re. choice of buses and metros.




|||



Marylin -





I am a female who travels alone most times, and IMO, because the Metro is so extensive and efficient, almost any place you would choose is close to...whatever. Pick an area and hotel that interest you and go for it.





No matter where I%26#39;ve stayed, I%26#39;ve never felt unsafe. I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll have a wonderful time. After all, it%26#39;s Paris.





Bon Voyage.




|||



I have mostly stayed in the Marais and other times in the Latin Quarter and while some other areas might have more metro lines available, I have never had any problems getting around. The Marais is in easy walking distance of Chatelet if you need a very central line but most importantly, the Ile St Louis and the Ile de la Cite are only 5-10 minutes walk away and from them to the Latin Quarter and St Germain is just a few steps. The Marais is always full of people at all hours and I have walked around at night and come home late without ever having a problem. On top of that there are so many fabulous shops and cafes/bistros you could not do better.




|||



GREAT responses - thank you! I just received a reply from the Hotel Beaubourg (in Marais near Pompidou Center) that they have rooms available for my dates and I am leaning toward Marais. I don%26#39;t want to be without nightlife completely - I am more concerned about being convenient to the sites. (Any comments on Hotel Beaubourg?)

No comments:

Post a Comment