Monday, April 16, 2012

Question for dmjwineworks

dmjwineworks,





I was wondering if you had ever heard of a residence hall in Bordeaux called CROUS or Cercle des Universitaires. It is located at 164-168 cours de l%26#39;Argonne and offers housing for foreign academics who will be in Bordeaux. Their website looks good but I%26#39;m wondering if it is too good to be true. Do you know anything about them or the neighborhood it%26#39;s located?





Any help would be greatly appreciated!





Steve




|||



Steve,





CROUS is not exactly a residence hall, but rather a government initiative across France to provide students with suitable, affordable housing. As such, you can probably expect basic, clean, safe (perhaps even comfortable) institutional facilities. I%26#39;ve never stayed in one myself, so I am extrapolating based on my experiences with other aspects of French higher education.





The Cours de l%26#39;Argonne is around the former student area in Bordeaux. I say former, because in the 1960s the city moved the university outside of town to a huge campus in the suburbs, and although the pharmacy college and one or two other smaller faculties are still in the area the major student influence that a university gives a city is decidely missing in Bordeaux. Still, the Victoire neighborhood is one of the most lively in town and reasonably centrally located.





Hope this helps.




|||



Thanks so much for the good and very prompt reply. I really appreciate it. It doesn%26#39;t sound ideal but the prices can%26#39;t be beat. I%26#39;ll be in Bordeaux for two weeks and this seems like the most economical way to go.





Thanks again for your help. By the way, I think everyone on the Bordeaux forum appreciates all your consistently good advice. It is very generous of you to help people traveling to the region.





Steve




|||



I%26#39;m glad you found the information helpful, and thanks for your kind comments. Although some of the questions go a bit beyond the sort of details I offer on my website, I%26#39;m happy to help with any basic questions about organizing a visit to Bordeaux.




|||



Could you post a link to your website? Thanks!





Steve




|||



I have hesitated from doing so to avoid running afoul of the forum guidelines against solicitation, but since this is in answer to a request, I guess this should be ok (if not, Trip Advisor, please let me know):



www.dmjwineworks.com




|||



Thanks for posting it. I%26#39;m sorry to put you in a bad spot. I wasn%26#39;t thinking. I%26#39;m going to take a look now.





Steve




|||



Just a quick follow-up. We ended up booking a room at CROUS. They make you jump through a lot of hoops but the price is unbeatable. I%26#39;ll let everyone know what is was like once we return.





Dewey, thanks again for all your help. Your website is great. I didn%26#39;t realize you are quite the wine expert. I%26#39;ll be sending you a direct email.





Thanks again!





Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment