Monday, April 16, 2012

Medication that can't be missed. Pharmacies/MDs?



I%26#39;ve done a search on this topic with minimal results.





Anyhow,





I have a seizure disorder and I take a few medications that I can%26#39;t miss.





I haven%26#39;t traveled to Europe since I was diagnosed with it. I have been to places in the Caribbean etc. where I would have never had any issues with language, physicians, or pharmacies.





I take a couple of different anticonvulsants, an emergency drug, and a sleep medication.



As long as I take care of myself I lead an extremely active life. %26quot;Carpe diem%26quot;





I am just concerned that something could happen to separate me from my medication (whether it be theft or something else). I plan to take all prescriptions and MD notes.





Can anyone tell me anything about the pharmacies or any other information so I can be prepared?




|||



Hi Leslie,


Here is a thread that was posted here recently that may be of assistance to you:



http://tinyurl.com/z3ct4



There is a poster on this forum (anneparis) whose husband is a pharmacist as well, (mentioned in that thread too).





|||



Mascara,





Thank-you,





That is perfect! I bookmarked it and plan to print it.





Leslie




|||



Leslie --





I too take a lot of meds - I have Rheumatoid Arthritis -





I carry two sets of Rxs - one in my checked luggage and one with my passport. My physician notes the generic compound on each Rx, if a brand name has been prescribed. The trade name is seldom the same one country to another.





My meds, in their original labeled bottles, live in my carry on - which is never out of reach.





If something should happen to any your meds, take a copy of your Rx with you to a pharmacy in a railway station. I always have been able to obtain an emergency supply of whatever has gone missing (I once spilled an entire bottle of pills into the toilet), usually up to two weeks worth. I don%26#39;t know if other pharmacies will do the same.




|||



Hi Leslie!





I too take medications that can not be substitiued.





I called the producer of my medication (you should find 1-800 # on warning papers of medication) and asked them if that medication is available in France.





One of my was not and since I was going for three months I had to try another here first to see if any reactions occur for a drug that is available in France.





That is a good thing to do ahead of time because one never knows if meds become lost or stolen or damaged by water (etc). I just returned from another trip in which the maid or someone with access to my room took my pills from my drawer in my room!




|||



The important thing is to have your doctor/pharmacist write down the actual molecule of the drug, not its trade name, that changes from country to country. French pharmacists will either know it directly (most likely) or look it up in their %26quot;Vidal%26quot; (every French pharmacist%26#39;s bible).




|||





That%26#39;s all very helpful information.





I know the generic names and just about everything you could imagine about my drugs-in Engligh. I think it may help to copy the prescribing information from the drug companie%26#39;s websites and/or PDR. I%26#39;ll talk to my MD when I see him in June as well before we go.





In fact, I think the companies who make my drugs are actually based in Europe. But I am sure the American FDA regulations are different than the French and Italian.





I never even thought of a maid stealing my medications. That is really scary! I usually leave them on my bedside table. Since reading that I will probably start putting them in the hotel safe.







Thank-you all again!





Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment