Thursday, April 19, 2012

Around Rue Mouffetard: cafes, bars, and wifi hotspots

Hi there,


I am an American girl who is travelling to Paris and I%26#39;ve rented an apartment on Rue Mouffetard for May and June. Does anyone know of any great (bistro style) cafes or restaraunts in the area where I can go alone and not feel too out of place? Also, I%26#39;ll be looking for a place to use my computer with wireless internet. Lastly a cool bar to get a drink that is not too young and %26#39;college-y%26#39; (I%26#39;m 34). I like Irish style bars. Guess I could wait til I get there, but I%26#39;m just too excited!




|||



Wow, that is so awesome! What a wonderful time you%26#39;ll have. There%26#39;s a long cafe that faces the fountain Contrascarpe, at the top of Mouffetard; it%26#39;s a great place to sit and have breakfast and take a break. I%26#39;ve been there alone and been totally content. You%26#39;ll be able to put together picnics at the market at Mouffetard and sit in all sorts of lovely spots you%26#39;ll find in the area.




|||



Hey blueskyholiday,





Me and five friends will be vacationing in Paris May 28 - Jun 5 (then to the south of France for a few days).





Our group is four girls and two guys ages 33 to 39. We like Irish bars too, so come meet up with us for a pint if our dates overlap.





The last time I was in Paris, we found a couple of good Irish/Aussie places around rue St. Denis.





We really liked The Frog %26amp; Rosbif Pub on the corner of Rue de Turbigo and Rue Saint Denis in the 4th. A classic Irish pub with plenty of Irish, Brits and Americans imbibing.





There was also a good Australian bar in the area, but I can%26#39;t remember the exact location or name. Maybe someone else on TA will know the name. It had to be close to the Etiennne Marcel metro stop.




|||



Thanks Jeanette and Seagrover!





I think I actually saw a picture of the cafe that you mention, Jeanette. I found a great website (actually the yellow pages of Paris) that shows photos of almost every address in Paris. So, I know what the outside of my building looks like and everything up and down the street. It is above a poissonerie, fromagerie and a butcher. Hopefully it won%26#39;t get too stinky in the summer!





Seagrover, those places sounds fun and right up my alley. Would be fun to meet up w/you and your friends for a pint. I only know one person in Paris (I%26#39;m sure i%26#39;ll meet people but always is nice to be around fellow Americans when far from home). You can drop me a line at polo_brooke@yahoo.com before you go.





: )




|||



There must be around 200 cafés or restaurants in the Mouff area, and you will feel %26quot;out of place%26quot; in none of them. As for Irish pubs, funnily enough, there is an association of these places in France. Do a Google, and you%26#39;ll come up with a listing.




|||



With regard to Wifi internet access, all McDonalds in Paris have free Wifi. You could also try Quick - the food is better, but I%26#39;m not sure if all their Parisian restaurants have Wifi yet.





You can find other locations with free Wifi at http://www.free-hotspot.com/




|||



blueskyholiday:





We just returned from Paris last night. My husband and I decided to visit Rue Mouffetard and we LOVED it. We also had a chance to visit the Place Monge Market on Wednesday morning.(one block away)





You will love the area!





happy travels, ton amie




|||



Bluesky, There are a couple of good Irish pubs in the Latin Quarter, one near metro Jussieu called Finnegan%26#39;s Wake at 9 rue des Boulangers and Connolly%26#39;s Corner 12 rue de Mirbel 75005 (check the addresses on www8.mappy.com) and another I like near the Louvre called Flann O%26#39;Briens at 6 rue Bailleul, Paris (Metro: Louvre-Rivoli).

No comments:

Post a Comment