Saturday, April 21, 2012

Need help with our hotel choice.

I will be in Paris in July, with my husband, and have narrowed our choice to 6 hotels in the left bank area.



We would like a nice budget hotel with charm, quiet. These all seem good. I have visited most of the sites for these hotels. Can anyone help?





Hotel St. Jaques



Hotel Delambre



Hotel du Globe



Hotel de Nevers



Hotel de l%26quot;Esperance



Hotel du Lys





Thank so much!



Patty




|||



My opinions are based on what I%26#39;ve read over the years...





1. St Jacques



2. Delambre / du Lys - tie





du Lys has no elevator but it%26#39;s more central than Delambre.. Delambre was updated about 2 years ago, and it is in a very nice area near J.Luxembourg/Montparnasse.



St Jacques is very, very popular - just check the reviews.



Another good, central hotel is Hotel Delavigne in the 6th.



Try for the above first... the rest of your list is a bit %26#39;iffy%26#39;.




|||



Thanks! I%26#39;ll double check the sites and see what is available.



I really appreciate your feedback!



Patty




|||



I would second the selection of the St Jacques based on many good reviews on this and other forums and a friend%26#39;s report of a trip last year. The Hotel du Lys is in a good spot as Travelnutty said and has a good name as a budget hotel. A friend and her husband stayed at the du Globe on their honeymoon about 2 years ago based on pretty pictures in guide books and the website but moved out after a couple of days because the room was so tiny - just about 18%26quot; either side of the bed and not much more.





Remember that July is very hot and most budget hotels do not have airconditioning so you may want to be somewhere that is not too noisy, so at least you can leave the windows open at night.




|||



Thank you so much.



So now I think we have decided between Delambre and St. Jacques. Really St. Jacques looks so perfect, but the last time we were in Paris (the only other time) we stayed about a block away from St. Jacques, (same street) so I thought this time we would try a different neighborhood. Delambre looks nice,(however with less charm than St. Jacques)....I%26#39;m just wondering about the location...I have never been in that area. I suppose it has ample %26quot;Parisian atmosphere%26quot;? It looks very convenient for subways, and we love to walk for hours.





What about the location?





Thank you ever so much.



Patty





Oh, I couldn%26#39;t find a website for du Lys so we eliminated it.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;Delambre looks nice,(however with less charm than St. Jacques)....I%26#39;m just wondering about the location...I have never been in that area. I suppose it has ample %26quot;Parisian atmosphere%26quot;? It looks very convenient for subways, and we love to walk for hours.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;







The HÔTEL DELAMBRE (3-star) 35 rue Delambre, 75014, Metro: Edgar Quinet %26amp; Vavin--



http://www.delambre-paris-hotel.com/





will be well down in the 14eme-Montparnasse and will be a long walk from the Seine....but there will be relatively easy Metro and bus connections because of the nearby Gare Montparnasse.





Of the two, the HÔTEL SAINT JACQUES will have the much better location.




|||



It is a totally personal thing but I agree with kdksail and others that the location of the St Jacques is much better for seeing the sights than the Delambre. The Delambre is near %26quot;Le Dome%26quot; restaurant (which did not impress me) and near the Tour Montparnasse and the station which is not (to me) a particularly attractive or interesting area.




|||



Thanks so much Faux and all. I think we will reconsider St. Jacques.



Another possiblity is Delavigne, which %26quot;Travelnutty%26quot; mentioned.



But a little on the high end for our budget. To be honest I would like to book St. Jacques, but my husband doesn%26#39;t want to stay in the exact same area and street as last time. (We stayed at Hotel Claude Bernard) I%26#39;ll try to talk him into it, but am looking for a back-up.





I can%26#39;t find a web site for Hotel du Lys, which has been suggested. I can find them listed through an agency, but I%26#39;d like to see some pictures. It sounds nice from the reveiws.



Anyway, Thanks again! This bulletin board has been so helpful.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;I can%26#39;t find a web site for Hotel du Lys, which has been suggested. I can find them listed through an agency, but I%26#39;d like to see some pictures. It sounds nice from the reveiws.%26lt;%26lt;%26lt;





HÔTEL du LYS (2-star) 23 Rue Serpente 75006, Metro: Odeon %26amp; Saint Michel--





http://www.hoteldulys.com/




|||



If you can book a hotel that%26#39;s closer to the Seine, I suggest it. The St. Jacques is a great choice and I stayed a few streets away so know the area is very convenient to restaurants and sights. The Musee de Cluny is just down the street from the hotel, for example.





Montparnasse where the Delambre is situated is very far to walk to the river. In my opinion, I%26#39;ve not really found it to be that charming as much as the 5th and 6th districts.




|||



Thanks for the web site for Hotel du Lys.



We decided, after everyones comments, to stay closer to the river.



We%26#39;ll go with St. Jacques , or du Lys. Thanks so much!



Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment