Thursday, April 19, 2012

Travel In and Around Paris

Paris experts--I am not sure what kind of tickets to buy for the Metro or RER. Two of us arriving in Paris Charles De Gaulle on Friday, May 26 around Noon. We will be in Paris until Wednesday 31st morning before heading for 3 days to Brugge, Brussels and Amsterdam and then just returning for 1 night to Paris (Saturday June 3) and then head home to USA on Sunday June 4.



I was thinking the day we arrive may be I should buy 10 tickets for Metro and then the following day buy the Five Zone Paris Visite for 5 days. And then for the last evening in Paris buy individual metro tickets. Is this the most cost efficient way to travel? Does one of the tickets in the 10 ticket package allow me to travel from CDG to my hotel in Place de Italie or since this is the RER line I have to buy a separate ticket? I am pulling my hair here. Any suggestion would be appreciated.




|||



Yes, you will need to buy a separate ticket for the RER to get you to your hotel. That ticket will take you from CDG into Paris, and then on the metro as far as you need to go. Cost about 8€. (Individual metro tickets are valid for travel on the RER withing Paris (Zones 1 and 2) But not outside that area.)



I doubt very much that a five zone Paris Visite pass will be an economical buy. Most visitors rarely travel outside Zones 1 and 2 (basically all of Paris %26quot;proper%26quot;) except to go to and from the airport and perhaps to Versailles. It is usually much more economical to buy the tickets for these trips separately.



A TWO Zone Paris Visite Pass MIGHT make sense, but you will have o do a little math and forecast how often in a day you are likely to use the metro/buses to decide. A 10-ticket carnet costs 10.70€. Off the top of my head I do not remember the cost of a 5-day Paris Visite pass, but you probably know. So figure out the cost of your trips if you buy carnets as you need them and you will have your answer.



I hope this helps clear the fog of confusion!




|||



One additional piece of info, having just looked at your other posts. A RT ticket to Versailles is less than 6€ (I think 5.40€ but my memory may be failing me here).



So add 16€ approximately for your RT to CDG, and 6€ approximately for the cost of your RT to Versailles. to the cost of a Two Zone PV Pass. Unless I am much mistaken, the total is significantly less than the cost of a Five Zone PV pass PLUS the cost of a one-way trip from CDG.



Does that make sense?




|||



IrishRovr, thanks for that prompt response. I also want to say sorry to the forum members for posting the same message couple of times. Not sure how or what happened.





Anyway, couple of follow up questions--(1) How do I ask for a Roundtrip ticket? For example Roundtrip ticket from Charles de Gaulle to Place d%26#39;Italie. (2) Can I buy the tickets to Versailles in any metro station? (3) Do all the metro stations accept Credit Cards or do I have to pay by cash only? (4) The Carte Orange is valid only from Monday to following Sunday, correct?





Thanks once again. Keep up the good work.




|||



1) How do I ask for a Roundtrip ticket? For example Roundtrip ticket from Charles de Gaulle to Place d%26#39;Italie.



%26quot;Un aller-retour Paris s%26#39;il-vous-plaît ? %26quot;





(2) Can I buy the tickets to Versailles in any metro station?



Yep





(3) Do all the metro stations accept Credit Cards or do I have to pay by cash only?



Visa is accepted in all stations







(4)The Carte Orange is valid only from Monday to following Sunday, correct?



Exactly




|||



Please correct me if I%26#39;m wrong, but I think there are no roundtrip tickets on RER and metro. You just buy two tickets.




|||



Jan, you are right: a round trip is just twice the price of a single, with physically two tickets. But it%26#39;ll be done once and for all...

No comments:

Post a Comment