Monday, April 16, 2012

If I could go back in time...

I just got back from a short but very enjoyable stay in Paris. I spent a lot of time reading through this forum before I left, and here are the things I am either glad I did, or wish I had done differently:





1. Travelling with only carry-on was a great decision, and saved us a lot of headaches with the inevitable missed flights.



2. I would worry less about %26quot;blending in%26quot;, the city is teeming with tourists, and I never felt that looking like one lessened my personal enjoyment of the trip. Comfy shoes and a camera don%26#39;t look all that unusual in Paris.



3. The cigarette smoke and dog poop got more tiresome that I expected, I would have looked more into a smoke free hotel and restaurants, although I am not sure if they exist there. The dog poop I am powerless against.



4. I had a few necessary French phrases and their pronunciation on a slip of paper in my purse, so I could quickly pull it out and ask for a table and a few other things. I may have butchered the pronunciation still, but I felt better than just speaking in English and hoping they would understand.



5. I stopped obsessing over finding the perfect bistro, patisserie, itinerary etc. I don%26#39;t think I ate at any of the well known great restaurants, but the food was still AWESOME at the places we did go.





Anyway- to summarize I would say that if I could go back in time I would tell myself to pack light and chill out. You don%26#39;t have to look parisian and have the perfect itinerary to really enjoy yourself.





Thanks to everyone who writes in to these forums to advise us novices!!




|||



Hi there H,





Good informaation but its hard for some people to realize what you say before they go over. They want to %26quot;see it all%26quot; and not have regrets in case they never get back.....understandable. It just takes some experience to realize that it will all work out fine. Chilling out and finding your own Paris will be the best way to do it.





Some really want to stay in the best place, buy the best stuff, eat in the top places and that is fine for them. But there is so much more to the city and it is right under your nose. All you have to do is get out of the hotel room and there it is....warts and all.





So happy to hear your trip was so good.....You gotta admit it is a good deal different than Montana though...........




|||



MKMT -





%26quot;I would worry less about %26quot;blending in%26quot;%26quot;



AMEN !





%26quot;I stopped obsessing over finding the



perfect ...



AMEN !!





I think you have seen the light; maybe



others will follow !!!




|||



Nice tips, especially about not obsessing. The way I got myself to stop obsessing before my first trip to Paris was to start calling it %26quot;my first trip.%26quot; That took the pressure off having to do everything perfectly, because I knew there would be a next time. Sure enough, I went back 4 months later. And by the way, I didn%26#39;t find perfect restaurants the first trip, but I loved being able to buy a quiche for breakfast every day from the charcuterie down the street -- something I can%26#39;t do at home. It%26#39;s the little things...




|||



I made the mistake of trying to be %26quot;trendy%26quot; and not looking like a tourist....who was I kidding?? All I got out of that was sore feet. Lesson learned.....I never leave home without the comfy running shoes. I don%26#39;t care how ridiculous I look....it%26#39;s better than having a day ruined because your feet are killing you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment